I love Strathaven Toffee and its not made anymore, and I accidentally managed to make it from a Fudge recipe that I cooked a wee bit longer, so it was no longer fudge, not quite tablet either. Which in my mind makes it Strathaven Toffee…
- 397g can Condensed Milk
- 150ml milk
- 450g demerara sugar
- 115g butter
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla Bean Paste
- 20cm square tin lined with grease proof paper
Line the tin with the grease proof paper
- Put the Condensed milk, butter and milk into a pot, and slowly heat. Add in the sugar in 3 amounts.. and dissolve after each time. I find this makes it easier than putting the whole amount in.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved add in the Vanilla Paste. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring all the time and scraping the base of the pan. Take care as it does get very hot!!!!!
- I used a sugar thermometer if you have one (approx 120°C). it goes a nice golden colour.
- Remove from the heat and beat the fudge until very thick and starting to set. I used my mixer for this with the paddle attachment.
- I used a potato masher to squash it into the tin to set.